43. Mistrzostwa Świata w Kolarstwie Przełajowym 1992 odbyły się w brytyjskim mieście Leeds, w dniach 1 – 2 lutego 1992 roku
. Rozegrano wyścigi mężczyzn w kategoriach zawodowców, amatorów i juniorów.
Paryż 1950 • Luksemburg 1951 • Genewa 1952 • Oñati 1953 • Crenna 1954 • Saarbrücken 1955 • Luksemburg 1956 • Edelare 1957 • Limoges 1958 • Genewa 1959 • Tolosa 1960 • Hanower 1961 • Esch-sur-Alzette 1962 • Calais 1963 • Overboelare 1964 • Cavaria 1965 • Beasain 1966 • Zurych 1967 • Luksemburg 1968 • Magstadt 1969 • Zolder 1970 • Apeldoorn 1971 • Praga 1972 • Londyn 1973 • Vera de Bidasoa 1974 • Melchnau 1975 • Chazay-d’Azergues 1976 • Hanower 1977 • Amorebieta 1978 • Saccolongo 1979 • Wetzikon 1980 • Tolosa 1981 • Lanarvily 1982 • Birmingham 1983 • Oss 1984 • Monachium 1985 • Lembeek 1986 • Mladá Boleslav 1987 • Hägendorf 1988 • Pontchâteau 1989 • Getxo 1990 • Gieten 1991 • Leeds 1992 • Azzano Decimo 1993 • Koksijde 1994 • Eschenbach 1995 • Montreuil 1996 • Monachium 1997 • Middelfart 1998 • Poprad 1999 • Sint-Michielsgestel 2000 • Tabor 2001 • Zolder 2002 • Monopoli 2003 • Pontchâteau 2004 • Sankt Wendel 2005 • Zeddam 2006 • Hooglede 2007 • Treviso 2008 • Hoogerheide 2009 • Tabor 2010 • Sankt Wendel 2011 • Koksijde 2012 • Louisville 2013 • Hoogerheide 2014 • Tábor 2015 • Zolder 2016 • Luksemburg 2017
Paul’s Bridge is a stone bridge carrying the Neponset Valley Parkway over the Neponset River between Milton and southern Boston, Massachusetts. It was built in 1849 by Thomas Hollis, Jr., of Milton, but was later reconstructed using the original materials. It replaced the earlier Hubbard’s Bridge (built prior to 1759), and a subsequent Paul’s Bridge (so named at its 1807 reconstruction). Its current span is approximately 88 feet (27 m). The name “Paul” can be attributed to Samuel Paul, the owner of the adjacent land on the Readville (now Boston) side, which was part of Dedham at the time of the bridge’s construction
The 1849 bridge was 81 feet (25 m) long and 22 feet (6
.7 m) wide, and was constructed of unmortared Quincy granite. Each round arch measures 20 feet (6.1 m) at the springline. The area between the arches is uncoursed rubblestone, and the arches are formed out of cut granite voussoirs. The bridge underwent a major rebuilding between 1932-1935 under the leadership of Arthur A. Shurcliff, FASLA and founder of the AIP, who made it a priority to widen the bridge. Most of the original stone was reused and solid stone parapets replaced the wooden siderails. Instead of a rubblestone finish between the arches on the extended side, it is finished in coursed stone.
Paul’s Bridge was added to the National Register of Historic Places in 1972, and contributes to a historic district encompassing the Neponset River Parkway.
Patrick Macnee et Linda Thorson
Duchess Mews, lieu de tournage extérieur de l’appartement de Steed.
Chapeau melon et bottes de cuir est le titre français de deux séries télévisées : The Avengers série britannique, et The New Avengers série franco-britannique mélangeant espionnage, science-fiction et action, mettant en scène John Steed, le personnage principal (la seconde série pouvant être considérée comme la suite de la première).
La première série, ayant pour titre original The Avengers (« les vengeurs »), se compose de 161 épisodes de 52 minutes, dont 104 en noir et blanc, et fut créée par Sydney Newman et Leonard White. Elle a été diffusée du 7 janvier 1961 au 21 mai 1969 sur le réseau ITV1 chaîne de télévision du Royaume-Uni.
En France, elle a été diffusée dès le 4 avril 1967 sur la deuxième chaîne de l’ORTF, à partir de la quatrième saison. Rediffusion de la saison 4 et épisodes restés inédits en version originale sous-titrée à partir du 1er juillet 1991 dans Continentales d’été sur FR3.
Les saisons 2 et 3 inédites ont été diffusées en version originale sous-titrée du 19 février 1999 au 2 avril 1998 sur 13e rue.
À l’occasion du cinquantième anniversaire de la série, Arte diffuse pour la première fois la saison 1 inédite en version originale sous-titrée et remastérisée à partir du 6 décembre 2010 sur Arte.
La seconde série, intitulée en anglais The New Avengers (« les nouveaux vengeurs »), créée par Brian Clemens et Albert Fennell et se compose de 26 épisodes de 52 minutes. Elle a été diffusée entre le 22 octobre 1976 et le 18 novembre 1977 sur ITV1. En France, elle a été diffusée à partir de 1977 sur TF1. Rediffusion en 1987, puis en septembre 1989 dans La Une est à vous sur TF1.
Dans la suite de l’article, par convention, la première saison de la deuxième série sera désignée comme la saison 7 et la deuxième saison de la deuxième série sera désignée comme la saison 8.
Patrick Macnee, chapeau melon sur la tête et parapluie au bras
, joue l’agent secret John Steed tout au long des deux séries (The Avengers et The New Avengers). Dans la première saison (inédite en France, mis à part deux épisodes) de The Avengers, Steed n’est qu’un personnage secondaire, le héros est le médecin David Keel, joué par Ian Hendry. La fiancée de Keel est tuée par des trafiquants de drogue et Steed, sorte de policier non officiel, l’aide à venger la mort de sa fiancée en faisant arrêter le coupable, d’où le titre anglais de la série, qui signifie les vengeurs. Steed entraîne ensuite le docteur dans d’autres missions où ils vont lutter ensemble contre le crime. On notera la présence récurrente de Carol Wilson (jouée par Ingrid Hafner (en)), secrétaire et partenaire du médecin pour certaines de ses enquêtes, leur relation assez ambiguë, préfigure les futurs duos mythiques de la série. Un des chefs de Steed, One-Ten (1-10, joué par Douglas Muir) qui lui fournit régulièrement des missions jouera également dans la saison 2.
Dans la deuxième saison, Ian Hendry parti, le docteur Martin King (Jon Rollason) assiste Steed durant trois épisodes, et Steed devient le héros. Steed a ensuite pour partenaire féminine, l’anthropologue Cathy Gale (jouée par Honor Blackman) dans 17 épisodes de la saison, et la chanteuse de cabaret Venus Smith (Julie Stevens), dans six épisodes. Cette saison est un succès grâce notamment à l’arrivée de Cathy Gale, première femme forte de l’histoire de la télévision et dont la relation avec Steed reste avant tout professionnelle et produit étincelles et tension sexuelle par leurs disputes incessantes.
Dans la troisième saison, Cathy Gale reste seule partenaire de Steed. Ils forment un duo de choc, il est élégant, fait preuve d’un flegme inaltérable et d’un humour très britannique. Elle est belle et efficace, souvent habillée de cuir (d’où le titre français de la série). La série connaît désormais un très grand succès. Les scénarios progressent en qualité, probablement grâce à l’arrivée de Brian Clemens. Le nom de ce scénariste-producteur reste attaché à cette série à laquelle il a donné ses lettres de noblesse. La fantaisie, marque de fabrique des saisons suivantes, fait ici son apparition.
Ces trois premières saisons sont peu connues en France, car elles n’ont jamais été doublées.
La quatrième saison voit apparaître Emma Peel (jouée par Diana Rigg) en remplacement de Cathy Gale. Elle est auburn, courageuse, stoïque, championne de la bagarre et n’a peur de rien. On sent une véritable complicité entre les acteurs, leurs dialogues étant d’ailleurs souvent à double sens.
La cinquième saison, toujours avec Mme Peel (On a besoin de nous), marque le passage à la couleur. Des acteurs connus vont venir faire un tour (Christopher Lee, Peter Cushing) ainsi que des débutants (Donald Sutherland, Charlotte Rampling). Ce sera la dernière saison de Diana Rigg qui, après quelques films au cinéma, retourne au théâtre shakespearien. D’une manière générale, cette saison est dans la lignée de la précédente et maintient un excellent niveau de qualité régulier.
La période Emma Peel est généralement la plus appréciée des fans grâce à des scénarios de plus en plus fantaisistes, des réalisations soignées et surtout grâce à la relation entre les deux partenaires, ambiguë et étincelante.
La sixième saison est certainement la plus folle et la plus extravagante de toute la série. Tara King (jouée par Linda Thorson), jeune fille espiègle, souvent provocante, intelligente, combative et efficace, succède à Emma Peel. Sa relation avec Steed est plus intime, tout en gardant une certaine ambiguïté. D’autres personnages récurrents apparaissent : le chef, Mère-Grand (Patrick Newell), et son garde du corps féminin et muet, Rhonda (jouée par Rhonda Parker). Bien que Tara King ait été parfois critiquée pour sa différence, cette saison, avec autant de charme que les précédentes, est celle qui porte l’imagination des scénaristes et également celle des réalisateurs à leur sommet. Brian Clemens la considère « la meilleure en termes de scénarios ».
La série se termine à la fin de cette saison en 1969, en plein succès mondial. En effet, elle devient de plus en plus coûteuse à produire, et le producteur américain se retirant du projet, les Britanniques ne peuvent se résoudre à la produire seuls.
En 1976, la série renaît sous le titre britannique The New Avengers (littéralement, les nouveaux vengeurs), avec deux partenaires cette fois-ci pour Steed : la belle et intrépide Purdey Sans-nom-de-famille (Joanna Lumley, la future Patsy d’Absolutely Fabulous) et le fringant Mike Gambit (Gareth Hunt). Le personnage de Gambit est créé pour les scènes d’action, Patrick Macnee commençant à prendre de l’âge. Il y aura deux saisons de treize épisodes. S’agissant d’une coproduction franco-britannique entre ITV et TF1, les sept derniers se passent hors de Grande-Bretagne, trois en France et quatre au Canada. La série, plus réaliste et moins délirante que la première version, mise plus sur l’action, même si on retrouve l’humour britannique de Steed et les joutes verbales de Gambit et Purdey.
Le scénariste Dennis Spooner a déclaré qu’à la fin de sa course Chapeau melon et bottes de cuir était allé aussi loin que possible en termes de parodie. C’est pour cette raison que pour The New Avengers , Brian Clemens a visé intentionnellement des histoires réalistes, d’espionnage, dans le style de Len Deighton. Spooner a déclaré: On ne peut pas dire: “Je n’aime pas vraiment The New Avengers , parce ça ne ressemble pas à l’ancienne série.- car ça n’aurait jamais pu y ressembler. -. On a tout bazardé ! – et il n’y avait aucun moyen de revenir en arrière. Lorsqu’on lui a rappelé le scénario de l’épisode “Gnaws” des The New Avengers , Spooner a admis que “Eh bien, oui, vers la fin on s’est un peu relâchés!» Certains des scénarios utilisés dans la série ont été recyclés à partir de scénarios antérieurs écrits par Clemens ou Spooner pour d’autres séries. “Steed et la voyante” était basé sur l’épisode “Meurtre en tête” de la série Angoisse; et “Le Monstre des égouts” était basé sur “L’Attaque des alligators” de la série Les Sentinelles de l’air.
Howard Blake ne composa aucun générique mais composa la musique de plusieurs épisodes de la saison 6 (comme Miroirs ou Jeux) lorsque Laurie Johnson n’était pas disponible.
Chapeau melon et bottes de cuir est une série constituée d’épisodes indépendants. C’est-à-dire qu’aucun épisode n’influe sur un autre ou s’inscrit dans un arc narratif regroupant plusieurs épisodes. Ainsi, les épisodes et les saisons peuvent être vus dans n’importe quel ordre.
Cependant, quelques exceptions sont à noter, il arrive qu’un épisode se réfère à un autre. Pour la continuité et pour apprécier toute la valeur de l’épisode en question, voici quelques recommandations.
Honor Blackman tournera dans un James Bond, Goldfinger. Diana Rigg également dans Au service secret de Sa Majesté, où Joanna Lumley a d’ailleurs un rôle. Et Patrick Macnee, lui, sera dans Dangereusement vôtre. À noter qu’Anna Quayle, partenaire de John Steed dans un seul épisode en 1967, sera la même année au générique de Casino Royale.
En 1968, sortit en France le film Chapeau melon et bottes de cuir se rebiffent présenté comme une œuvre de cinéma, distribué par Audifilm. Il s’agissait en fait d’un remontage de deux épisodes de la cinquième saison de la série, Le Vengeur volant et Le retour des cybernautes, encore inédits à la télévision, et qui ne seront diffusés sur le petit écran qu’en 1973.
En 1998 est sorti le film Chapeau melon et bottes de cuir, basé sur la série, avec Ralph Fiennes dans le rôle de Steed, Uma Thurman dans celui d’Emma Peel et Sean Connery, l’ancien interprète de James Bond, dans le rôle du méchant. Patrick Macnee fait une apparition dans le rôle du colonel invisible. Ce film fut un échec, les fans pensant qu’il trahissait la série.
Diana Rigg, dans un rôle proche de celui d’Emma Peel, apparaîtra dans deux courts métrages, Diadem et The Minikillers. Son personnage, peut être vu rangeant des objets dérivés de la série Doctor Who, autre création de Sydney Newman dans l’épisode Death at bargain prices. Diana Rigg y jouera d’ailleurs un rôle bien des années après.
Honor Blackman aussi fait une apparition dans la série britannique auprès du sixième Docteur.
En avril 1987, il est annoncé une troisième série : “La décision est prise. Dix ans après l’avoir rangé au vestiaire, Patrick MacNee va à nouveau décrocher le célèbre chapeau melon de Jonathan Steed et se lancer dans de nouvelles aventures. CBS prévoit le tournage d’un téléfilm de deux heures avec Patrick MacNee et Diana Rigg puis, si le public réagit favorablement, on se lancera dans le tournage de 22 épisodes en neuf mois. “Mais pas avec moi, précise aussitôt Patrick MacNee. Je suis bien trop vieux. J’ai dit au producteur de me remplacer par un Jonathan plus jeune. À 65 ans, je ne peux plus incarner ce genre de héros.”
Le téléfilm annoncé ne fut pas réalisé et le projet d’une troisième série avorta.
Au 24 juillet 2007, toutes les saisons parues en France sont disponibles chez StudioCanal. La première saison est toujours inédite, tous les épisodes, à l’exception de trois étant perdus. Parmi les trois épisodes sauvegardés on trouve le pilote de la série, Hot Snow (Neige brûlante en version française), dont seules les vingt premières minutes sont connues, La Trapéziste (Girl on the Trapeze) et enfin Passage à tabac (The Frighteners), les deux seuls épisodes complets de la saison 1 (qui étaient déjà disponible sur un disque bonus dans la version 2002 de la collection officielle en kiosques). Ces trois épisodes ont fait l’objet d’un DVD Bonus pour les abonnés kiosques de la version 2004 de la collection officielle Chapeau melon et bottes de cuir éditée par Studio Canal. Les deux épisodes complets ont été diffusés pour la première fois sur une chaîne hertzienne en France en décembre 2010 sur Arte en version originale sous-titrée.
StudioCanal a sorti l’intégrale des New Avengers en un seul coffret, le 22 avril 2008.
À cinq reprises, pour cause d’absence, kidnapping de sa partenaire ou autres imprévus, Steed a dû faire équipe avec une autre partenaire, pas forcément agent de son état. Voici donc la liste de ses remplaçantes :
Dans l’épisode Miroirs (saison 6), à cause de la mise aux arrêts de Steed, Tara fait équipe avec l’agent Watney (Dinsdale Landen).
En 1998, une adaptation cinématographique est réalisée par Jeremiah S. Chechik, sous le titre éponyme de ‘Chapeau melon et bottes de cuir – Cœur à cœur’, avec Uma Thurman et Ralph Fiennes, et y compris Sean Connery, sans être bien accueillie par la critique. Les personnages mis en scènes sont ceux de John Steed et Emma Peel qui, avec le temps, est devenue sa partenaire iconique. Le film ne prétend pas suivre la canonicité.
HMS Hero was an H-class destroyer built for the Royal Navy in the mid-1930s. During the Spanish Civil War of 1936–1939 the ship enforced the arms blockade imposed by Britain and France on both sides as part of the Mediterranean Fleet. During the first few months of World War II, Hero searched for German commerce raiders in the Atlantic Ocean and participated in the Second Battle of Narvik during the Norwegian Campaign of April–June 1940 before she was transferred to the Mediterranean Fleet in May where she escorted a number of convoys to Malta. The ship took part in the Battle of Cape Spada in July 1940, Operation Abstention in February 1941, and the evacuations of Greece and Crete in April–May 1941.
The ship covered an amphibious landing during the Syria–Lebanon Campaign of June 1941 and began escorting supply convoys in June to Tobruk, Libya shortly afterwards. She was damaged by German dive bombers while rescuing survivors from the minelayer Latona in October 1941 and resumed escorting convoys to Malta. Hero participated in the Second Battle of Sirte in March 1942 and in Operation Vigorous in June. She sank two German submarines whilst stationed in the Mediterranean in 1942, and was transferred back home late in the year to begin converting to an escort destroyer. The ship was transferred to the Royal Canadian Navy (RCN) in 1943 and renamed HMCS Chaudière. She became part of the Mid-Ocean Escort Force in early 1944 until her transfer back to British coastal waters in May to protect the build-up for Operation Overlord. Together with other ships, she sank three more German submarines during the year. Chaudière was refitting when the war ended in May 1945 and was in poor shape. The ship was paid off in August and later sold for scrap. The process of breaking her up, however, was not completed until 1950.
Hero displaced 1,350 long tons (1,370 t) at standard load and 1,883 long tons (1,913 t) at deep load. The ship had an overall length of 323 feet (98.5 m), a beam of 33 feet (10.1 m) and a draught of 12 feet 5 inches (3.8 m). She was powered by Parsons geared steam turbines, driving two shafts, which developed a total of 34,000 shaft horsepower (25,000 kW) and gave a maximum speed of 36 knots (67 km/h; 41 mph). Steam for the turbines was provided by three Admiralty 3-drum water-tube boilers. Hero carried a maximum of 470 long tons (480 t) of fuel oil that gave her a range of 5,530 nautical miles (10,240 km; 6,360 mi) at 15 knots (28 km/h; 17 mph). The ship’s complement was 137 officers and men in peacetime, but this increased to 146 in wartime. In Canadian service, the crew numbered 10 officers and 171 men.
The ship mounted four 4.7-inch Mk IX guns in single mounts, designated ‘A’, ‘B’, ‘X’, and ‘Y’ from front to rear. For anti-aircraft (AA) defence, Hero had two quadruple Mark I mounts for the 0.5 inch Vickers Mk III machine gun. She was fitted with two above-water quadruple torpedo tube mounts for 21-inch torpedoes. One depth charge rail and two throwers were fitted; 20 depth charges were originally carried, but this increased to 35 shortly after the war began. By mid-1940, this had increased to 44 depth charges.
Ordered on 13 December 1934 from Parsons Marine Steam Turbine Company, Hero was subcontracted to Vickers-Armstrongs and laid down by their High Walker Yard at Newcastle-on-Tyne, England, on 28 February 1935. She was launched on 10 March 1936 and completed on 21 October 1936. Excluding government-furnished equipment like the armament, the ship cost £249,858.
Most ships of Hero’s class had the rear torpedo tubes replaced by a 12-pounder AA gun after the evacuation of Dunkirk in 1940, but it is not clear if she underwent this refurbishment as she was deployed in the Mediterranean until 1943. Other changes made before her conversion to an escort destroyer in 1943 probably included exchanging her two quadruple .50-calibre Vickers machine guns mounted between her funnels for two Oerlikon 20 mm AA guns, the addition of two Oerlikon guns to her searchlight platform and another pair on the wings of the ship’s bridge
. The ship’s director-control tower and rangefinder above the bridge were most likely removed in exchange for a Type 271 target indication radar during the conversion, as was the replacement of ‘B’ gun by a Hedgehog anti-submarine spigot mortar, and the addition of a Type 286 short-range surface search radar. Two QF 6-pounder Hotchkiss guns were fitted on the wings of her bridge to deal with U-boats at short ranges. The ship also received a HF/DF radio direction finder mounted on a pole mainmast. ‘Y’ gun was also removed to allow her depth charge stowage to be increased. Late in the war, her Type 286 was replaced by a Type 291 radar.
Hero was assigned to the 2nd Destroyer Flotilla of the Mediterranean Fleet upon commissioning. She patrolled Spanish waters during the Spanish Civil War enforcing the policies of the Non-Intervention Committee. Hyperion received a refit in June–July 1939 in the UK and rejoined the Mediterranean Fleet upon its completion. The ship remained in the Mediterranean until 5 October when she was transferred to Freetown, Sierra Leone to search for German commerce raiders. Hero returned to the UK in January 1940 and received a refit at Portsmouth from 15 February to 16 March. In the meantime, the 2nd Destroyer Flotilla had been assigned to Home Fleet and the ship rejoined them when her refit was finished.
On 5 April Hero escorted the battlecruiser Renown as she covered the minelayers preparing to implement Operation Wilfred, an operation to lay mines in the Vestfjord to prevent the transport of Swedish iron ore from Narvik to Germany. The ship and her sister Hyperion pretended to lay a minefield off Bud, Norway on 8 April and reported its location to the Norwegians. Hero and the destroyer Foxhound streamed their TSDS minesweeping gear in advance of the battleship Warspite and her escort as they steamed up the Vestfjord to engage the remaining German destroyers at Narvik on 13 April. The ship and four other British destroyers pursued the remaining German ships into the Rombaksfjorden (the easternmost branch of the Ofotfjord), east of Narvik, where the lack of ammunition had forced the German ships to retreat. Most of the German destroyers had scuttled and beached themselves at the head of the fjord, but the scuttling charges on Z18 Hans Lüdemann had failed to detonate properly and she was boarded by a small party from Hero. They found nothing of any significance as she’d been abandoned by her crew and the destroyer put a torpedo into her to prevent any salvage.
Hero was transferred to the Mediterranean Fleet on 17 May as part of the reconstituted 2nd Destroyer Flotilla. During the Battle of Cape Spada on 19 July, the ship escorted Australian light cruiser Sydney and rescued some of the 525 survivors from the Italian cruiser Bartolomeo Colleoni together with the other escorting destroyers. Hero, together with her sister, Hostile, and the destroyers Nubian and Mohawk, were ordered to Gibraltar on 22 August where they were to join Force H. Hostile struck a mine en route on the early morning of 23 August off Cap Bon that broke her back. The explosion killed five men and wounded three others. Mohawk took off the survivors while Hero fired two torpedoes to scuttle her. The ship participated in Operation Hats in September, before refitting in Malta during November. She sortied into the North Atlantic when Convoy WS-5A reported that it had been attacked by the German cruiser Admiral Hipper on 25 December to round up the scattered ships.
On 1 January 1941, Hero was one of the ships that intercepted a Vichy French convoy off Mellila and seized all four merchant ships of the convoy. The ship participated in Operation Excess in early January 1941 and was transferred back to the Mediterranean Fleet. On 27 February, she evacuated a few surviving commandos from the island of Kastelorizo who had attacked the island in Operation Abstention. In mid-April she escorted the fast transport Breconshire and three battleships from Alexandria to Malta before going on to escort the battleships as they bombarded Tripoli on 20 April. After refueling in Alexandria on 23 April, Hero sailed for Greece to begin evacuating British and Australian troops from the beaches. During the evacuation of Crete, Hero and the destroyer Decoy evacuated the King of Greece and his entourage on the night of 22/23 May.
Hero escorted the LSI(L) Glengyle as she conducted an amphibious landing in early June 1941 on the Lebanese coast during the opening stages of the Operation Exporter. She spent most of the rest of the year escorting convoys to Tobruk. Together with her sister Hotspur and the destroyer Encounter, the ship escorted Latona on 25 October whilst en route to Tobruk. They were attacked by Junkers Ju 87 Stuka dive bombers of I./StG 1 that hit Latona and set her afire. Hero and Encounter came alongside and rescued the crew and passengers before Latona’s magazine exploded, but Hero was damaged by three near misses whilst alongside. The ship returned to Alexandria for repairs and escorted a convoy to Malta in January 1942. She participated in the 2nd Battle of Sirte on 22 March whilst escorting a convoy to Malta. Together with the Hunt-class destroyers Eridge and Hurworth on 29 May, she sank the German submarine U-568 north-east of Tobruk, at 32°42′N 24°53′E / 32.700°N 24.883°E / 32.700; 24.883, and rescued 42 survivors.
During Operation Vigorous in June, Hero formed part of the escort for the covering force of the Mediterranean Fleet for the Malta-bound convoy. At time the ship still had not been fitted for radar. After Panzer Army Africa occupied Mersa Matruh in late June, the Admiralty ordered the submarine tenders Medway and the Greek Corinthia transferred to Haifa, but Medway was torpedoed and sunk en route despite the strong escort. Hero and the destroyer Zulu rescued 1105 survivors between them. On 17 August, the ship rescued some 1100 survivors of the torpedoed troopship Princess Marguerite. In conjunction with four other destroyers and a Wellesley light bomber of the Royal Air Force, Hero sank U-559 60 nautical miles (110 km; 69 mi) north-east of Port Said on 30 October. The ship was ordered back to the United Kingdom, via the Cape of Good Hope, to be converted to an escort destroyer late in the year.
Her conversion at Portsmouth lasted from April to November 1943 and Hero was transferred to the Royal Canadian Navy as a gift on 15 November 1943 and renamed HMCS Chaudière. After working up, the ship was assigned to the Escort Group C2 in February 1944, based in Derry. On 6 March 1944, whilst defending Convoy HX 228 west of Ireland, the escorts forced U-744 to the surface where she surrendered after a 32-hour hunt. The submarine could not be towed to port and was torpedoed by the British destroyer Icarus. The ship was reassigned to the 11th Escort Group in May 1944 in preparation for Operation Overlord. The group was tasked to protect Allied shipping in the English Channel and the Bay of Biscay and, together with the destroyers Ottawa and Kootenay, the ship sank U-621 in the Bay of Biscay near La Rochelle on 18 August. Two days later, the same ships sank U-984 in the Bay of Biscay west of Brest. In November, Chaudière was sent to Sydney, Nova Scotia for a refit.
The refit did not begin until late January 1945 and was still in progress when the war ended in May. She was found to be in the worst shape of any Canadian destroyer when inspected and was declared surplus to requirements on 13 June. She was paid off on 17 August 1945 and later sold for scrap to the Dominion Steel Company. Her demolition, however, was not completed until 1950.
The ship’s completion on Tyneside in 1936 inspired the poet Michael Roberts to write a poem entitled “H.M.S. Hero”. The poem of twelve lines in three stanzas, begins; “Pale grey, her guns hooded, decks clear of all impediment, / Easily, between the swart tugs, she glides in the pale October sunshine…”.
Coordinates: 32°42′N 24°53′E / 32.700°N 24.883°E / 32.700; 24.883
Coordinates: 53°32′10″N 2°40′26″W / 53
.5360°N 2.6738°W / 53.5360; -2.6738
Pemberton is a mainly residential area of Wigan borough, and an electoral ward of the Metropolitan Borough of Wigan, in Greater Manchester, England. It lies on the southwestern bank of the River Douglas, contiguous to Wigan’s town centre, and east of the M6 motorway. The area today serves as a predominantly residential suburb along with the adjoining area of Orrell and as a ward has a population of 13,638, increasing to 13,982 at the 2011 Census.
Historically a part of Lancashire, Pemberton was formerly a township and parish in the hundred of West Derby. Following the Industrial Revolution, Pemberton became a densely populated industrial district comprising a variety of coal mines, stone-quarries, brick manufactories, and cotton mills. Coal mining was the principal industry of what was described in 1911 as an “unpicturesque, bare and open” area. The former Pemberton Urban District was amalgamated into the County Borough of Wigan in 1904.
The name Pemberton derives from Penn-bere-tūn, which is believed to be a combination of the Celtic penn meaning hill, the Old English bere meaning barley plus the Old English suffix of -ton meaning a farm or settlement.
Unmentioned in the Domesday Book of 1086, Pemberton does not appear in records until 1212, when it was documented to have been a thegnage estate, or manor, comprising “two plough-lands”, with an annual rate of 20 shillings payable by the tenant, Alan de Windle, to King John of England.
There were several collieries in the area, and sandstone was also quarried. At Newtown were cotton mills and iron works. A well at Lamberhead Green (Pingate) was noted for its excellent water quality. The area is served by Pemberton railway station.
Pemberton was formerly a township in Wigan ecclesiastical parish, in the hundred of West Derby, and was recognised as a civil parish in 1866. From 1894 to 1904, the Pemberton parish constituted the Pemberton Urban District. In 1904 the urban district was abolished with its territory transferred to the borough and local government County Borough of Wigan. The 1911 Encyclopædia Britannica describes Pemberton as being part of Wigan (which then formed 5082 acres). In 1920, the Pemberton parish was abolished and its former area was used to enlarge the Wigan parish, making the area of the parish and county borough identical. Pemberton today is considered part of Wigan for purposes of the Office for National Statistics, and in most reputable contemporary publications. This is also the approach taken also in several other modern online sources, which omit Pemberton as a standalone settlement.
The electoral ward of Pemberton is represented by three elected councillors. The ward covers the following neighbourhoods:
Described in 1911 as “unpicturesque, bare and open”, Pemberton is predominantly made up of privately owned homes and local authority maintained housing, including Newtown, Worsley Mesnes, Norley Hall, Marsh Green and Kitt Green. Pemberton and its adjoining district of Orrell form one continuous residential area.
The soil is clay and loam, over Coal Measures and stone.
Oscar Treadwell (born Arthur Pedersen) (May 11, 1926 – April 1, 2006) was an American jazz radio journalist and presenter. Known as “OT”, he become known mainly by a dedication to him by Charlie Parker, a composition called “An Oscar for Treadwell”. Treadwell’s first jobs were as an industrial manager and consultant The Kooples Sale. However, he was better known due to his 50-year career as a DJ
, jazz historian and radio host, which began in 1947 and lasted over 50 years.
Treadwell began his career at radio stations in New Jersey and Pennsylvania before moving to Cincinnati
, Ohio in 1960. There he began in 1962 with his jazz on the radio transmitter WZIP and 1965-1973 at WNOP (AM).
Treadwell moved to WGUC and moderated the jazz program under his initials OT from 1973 to 1995, then moved “Jazz with OT” to [Xavier University|Xavier University’s] WVXU. Until his retirement in 2001, he oversaw the jazz program and the station WMKV. 2005 Treadwell returned to WVXU, where he worked until his death in April 2006.
Oscar Treadwell, who was called by his fans, “OT”, was an important member of the jazz scene of Cincinnati Roger Vivier Shoes for Sale. Through his radio programs, he was known by many, and friends with many jazz musicians, including Dave Brubeck, Charlie Parker, Dizzy Gillespie and Thelonious Monk. His friends honored him with the compositions:
After his death, the Public Library of Cincinnati released a CD entitled “O.T. – A Celebration of Oscar Treadwell”. The library had been given recordings of many of his Treadwell’s shows on cassettes and CDs.
The Statute Law Revision Act 1875 (38 & 39 Vict c 66) is an Act of the Parliament of the United Kingdom.
This Act was partly in force in Great Britain at the end of 2010.
The enactments which were repealed (whether for the whole or any part of the United Kingdom) by this Act were repealed so far as they extended to the Isle of Man on 25 July 1991
This Act was retained for the Republic of Ireland by section 2(2)(a) of, and Part 4 of Schedule 1 to, the Statute Law Revision Act 2007.
This Act was amended by sections 2 and 3 of the Statute Law Revision Act 1878 (41 & 42 Vict c 79).
Section 3 of this Act provided that section 25 of the 9 Geo 4 c 58, which had been repealed by the Statute Law Revision Act 1873
, was revived
, as from the repeal thereof, and that all proceedings taken thereunder since that repeal were as valid and effectual as if that section had not been repealed herve leger dress sale 2016.
Sections 2 and 3 of, and the Schedule to, this Act, were repealed by section 1 of, and Schedule 1 to, the Statute Law Revision Act 1894 (57 & 58 Vict c 56).
The American Express Building-Carroll
, also known as the Carroll Express Building is a historic structure located in Carroll, Iowa, United States. Like the Chicago & Northwestern Passenger Depot across the street, the express building is an example of a replacement station built during the Golden Age of Steam Railroading. It replaced a frame, structure that was built sometime between 1888 and 1893. The Chicago and North Western Railway (CNW) had built two branch lines from Carroll in 1877 and 1880, which increased business and necessitated the building of the original express building between 1883 and 1888. Chicago architect Charles Sumner Frost designed this building, and the depot. They are similar in design
, and were both completed in 1896. The building was listed on the National Register of Historic Places in 1990.
American Express was one of several independent express companies that leased facilities from the railroads. The railroads also carried and serviced their cars for another fee
. In general this was a service to the railroads as these companies generally handled small shipments
, which were not as cost effective as the larger shipments they handled themselves.
Moustapha Al Akkad (Arabic: مصطفى العقاد; July 1, 1930 – November 11, 2005) was a Syrian American film producer and director, best known for producing the original series of Halloween films and directing Mohammad, Messenger of God and Lion of the Desert. He was killed along with his daughter Rima Al Akkad Monla in the 2005 Amman bombings.
Al Akkad was born on July 1, 1930 in Aleppo, Syria. He received his high school degree from the Aleppo American College. His father, then a customs officer, gave him $200 and a copy of the Quran before he left for the United States to study film direction and production at the University of California, Los Angeles (UCLA). Akkad spent a further three years studying for a Master’s degree at the University of Southern California (USC), where he met the director Sam Peckinpah. Peckinpah became Akkad’s mentor in Hollywood and hired him as a consultant for a film about the Algerian revolution that never made it to the big screen, but he continued to encourage him until he found a job as a producer at CBS.
In 1976 Bogner Jas sale, he produced and directed Mohammad, Messenger of God (released as The Message in 1977 in the United States), starring Anthony Quinn and Irene Papas. Al Akkad faced resistance from Hollywood which forced him to make the film in Morocco.
While creating Muhammad, Messenger of God, he consulted Islamic clerics and tried to be respectful towards Islam and its views on portraying Muhammad. He got the Approval from “Al Azhar” in Egypt but was rejected by the Muslim World League in Mecca, Saudi Arabia. The Governments of Kuwait, Libya and Morocco promised to support the film financially, but when it was rejected by the Muslim World League, Kuwait withdrew its financial support. King Hassan II of Morocco gave his full support for the production of the film. The production took one year, Akkad filmed for 6 months in Morocco, but had to stop when the Saudi Government exerted great pressure on the government of Morocco to stop the production. Al Akkad went to Muammar Gaddafi of Libya for support in order to complete the project, Gaddafi allowed him to move the filming to Libya for the remaining 6 months until the film was finalized.
Al Akkad saw the film as a way to bridge the gap between the Western and Islamic worlds, stating in a 1976 interview:
I did the film because it is a personal thing for me cheap puma soccer cleats outlet 2016. Besides its production values as a film, it has its story, its intrigue, its drama. Besides all this I think there was something personal, being a Muslim myself who lived in the west I felt that it was my obligation my duty to tell the truth about Islam. It is a religion that has a 700 million following, yet it’s so little known about which surprised me. I thought I should tell the story that will bring this bridge, this gap to the west.
In 1978, he helped make low-budget film history when he produced Halloween. Akkad became best known for his key involvement in the first eight Halloween movies
, as an executive producer (the only producer to participate in all of these films). The series was highly profitable.
In 1980 he directed Lion of the Desert, in which Quinn and Irene Papas were joined by Oliver Reed, Rod Steiger, and John Gielgud. It was about the real-life Bedouin leader Omar Mukhtar (Quinn), who fought Benito Mussolini’s Italian troops in the deserts of Libya. The movie is now critically acclaimed, after initially receiving negative publicity in the West for being partially funded by Libya’s Muammar Gaddafi, who invested $35 million in the movie. This negative publicity may have been the cause of its relatively poor performance at the box office.
In the United Kingdom Al Akkad once tried to buy Pinewood Studios from the Rank Organisation and also had a studio at Twickenham. At the time of his death, he was in the process of producing an $80 million movie featuring Sean Connery about Saladin and the Crusades, for which he already had the script, that would be filmed in Jordan. Speaking of the film, he said:
…Saladin exactly portrays Islam. Right now, Islam is portrayed as a terrorist religion. Because a few terrorists are Muslims, the whole religion has that image. If there ever was a religious war full of terror, it was the Crusades. But you can’t blame Christianity because a few adventurers did this. That’s my message.
Al Akkad and his 34-year-old daughter, Rima Akkad Monla, were killed in the November 9
, 2005 Amman bombings in Amman, Jordan. They were both in the lobby at the Grand Hyatt when a bomb exploded ; his daughter died instantly, and Akkad died of his injuries two days later in a hospital. Moustapha Al Akkad is survived by his former wife, Patricia Al Akkad and their sons, Taric and Malek who helped produce most of the Halloween movies, as well as his widow, Suha Ascha Akkad, and their son Zaid.
He was honoured by his native city of Aleppo, and the Aleppo City Council has renamed a school and a street after Moustapha Akkad. In 2008, a street in downtown Beirut was renamed after Moustapha Akkad. The 2007 remake of Halloween was dedicated to Moustapha Akkad.
Coordinates: 55°43′32″N 4°39′59″W / 55.725614°N 4.666426°W / 55.725614; -4.666426
Barkip, also known as The Den, is a hamlet in North Ayrshire, Scotland about three miles south-west of Beith on the A737 road to Dalry. The earliest recorded name is ‘Blairkip’. In the Gaelic language, the name Barkip comes from bar (“top”), and kip (“a rank of soldiers”). It is not clear when or why the name ‘The Den’ started to be used although it appears in the local press as both in 1898, however in Scots as in old English one meaning is ‘A hollow between hills,’ which is certainly an accurate description of the geography of the area that Barkip lies in.
Pont’s survey of the early 1600s records a ‘Bar-Kyipe’ lying in the Barony of Kersland and Dobie records that Barkip formed part of the estate of Roughwood in 1874, belonging to William Ralston-Patrick. In the 19th century the population was 995.
Willem Blaeu’s map of circa 1604 records a ‘Barkirsh’ settlement, probably today’s nearby ‘Barcosh’. William Roy’s map of 1747 records the settlements of Mallside and a Blairkip. In the year 1726, William Park and John his son granted to John Hamilton an heritable bond, in common form, for 3000 merks, over the lands of Barkip. Barkip was part of the Blair Estate.
In March 1898, a local paper reported a complaint that a dance had taken place at the Kersland Barony school and Kirk that had lasted into the small hours. Members of the church congregation threatened to leave through their indignation at the building being used for such frivolous activities. That same month, students at the Kersland Barony evening continuation classes presented their teachers
, Mr Deans and Miss Lorraine, with gifts of appreciation. The Rev A Leslie chaired the event and Miss Lorraine was presented with an inscribed umbrella, whilst Mr Deans had a silver walking stick as his recognition. Songs, recitations, flute, and violin entertainments were part of the night’s proceedings.
An 1876 publication, Catalogue of the western Scottish fossils, documented finds in Barkip’s coal and ironstone pits and sandstone quarries, including that of Rhizodus, Gyracanthus, and Cladodus. The village had a certain reputation for problems linked to illicit drinking. It was reported in 1898 that Sunday drinking resulted in men lying around drunk in the Maulside plantations and some were playing cards.
Barkip is located in southwest Scotland in North Ayrshire and lies about three miles south-west of Beith. Geologically, Barkip consists of mainly sandstone Sandro Online. Two areas of the rare habitat type known as ‘raised bogs’ are located at Barkip and Little Barkip. These were surveyed for the Ayrshire Biodiversity Action Plan (ABAP) by the NAC Ranger Service in 2010. Raised bogs develop over centuries from open lake, to marsh, and eventually bog that continues to form peat, and over time a shallow dome of bog peat develops: a raised bog. The dome is typically a few metres high in the centre, and is often surrounded by strips of fen. The Barkip sites have the typical bog plants, such as sundew, cotton grass, deer grass Cheap Sandro Dresses, and sphagnum mosses. Highfield is the next village along on the A737 towards Dalry.
The old Kersland Barony school had a church-like belfry over the front gale and was used as church on Sundays. The Rev. Robert Stevenson D.D., minister of Dalry 1844-1890, caused to be erected the Kersland Barony Chapel and school. He bequeathed £2,500 for Kersland Barony chapel. In 1901 the Herald recorded that “The scholars of Kersland Barony School, Dalry, under the direction of Mr Deans, headmaster
, and Mr Gibson, drill instructor, gave a most enjoyable entertainment on two evenings last week”. The village at one time had a police station, two public houses, a cinema, and a bowling green. Brackenhills railway station was located midway between Beith and Barkip on the Lanarkshire and Ayrshire Railway’s branch to Kilbirnie South. Defence Munitions Beith (DM Beith) is located nearby. The hamlet contains several cottages including Auchengree Cottage, Rosehill Cottage and Muirhouse Cottage. A smithy was located at the Crossroads near where Graze Restaurant now stands (2012). A second smithy was situated on the crossroads near West Muirhouse Farm and Highden House. This smithy, now demolished, was unusual in that it had stables associated with it; these survive as a private dwelling. An explosives magazine was located at the site of the old Low Well opposite West Muirhouse Farm. Davidshill House was once an isolation hospital, locally known as the ‘Sick House’.
Maulside House, previously Maulhead, was built on the site of an earlier mansion held by the Russells. The present house was built for Andrew Mitchell, Writer to the signet, in the 1830s. he improved his estate lands, draining the mosses, turning them into productive fields. Maulside Mains is a ‘B’ Listed, early 19th century, rectangular-plan stable block with a ‘U’ shaped courtyard beyond.
Located a short distance from the settlement is the Barkip Biogas power plant, the largest anaerobic digestion power plant in Scotland when completed in June 2011. It uses anaerobic digestion to produce electricity from leftover food and other organic materials. The only by-product is a high nutrient fertiliser that can be returned to the land to help produce more food. The Barkip Biogas facility was built for the utility provider Scottish & Southern Energy Generation Ltd. It is operated by Zebec Energy, a West of Scotland company. The facility has the capacity to process up to 75,000 tonnes-a-year of residual waste and has been designed to produce up to 2.5 megawatts (MW) of renewable electricity. The plant was officially opened by the Duke of Rothesay (Prince Charles) in May 2012.
Looking towards Beith.
Looking towards Dalry.
Remnants of Brackenhills station.
Kelme Outlet | Le Coq Sport Outlet